Saturday, February 28, 2009

Maintain Motivation

Though I have the whole day to work at looking for work, I often find myself lacking motivation. Why? Because being unemployed and looking for work can be depressing.

People always say enjoy the time off while it lasts. But you can't because you're stressed and depressed.

Your de-motivation can sometimes come through your online communication when you're applying for a job. So, if you can't "enjoy" your time off, how do you maintain the motivation to keep looking and sound like a happy person to a prospective employer?

Though you need to put a lot into looking for a job, you also need to take breaks and do something else to take your mind off it. I advise having a project that you can focus on to take your mind off the job hunt. And not something like cleaning out the garage - unless of course that brings you great joy. I mean something productive or something you've been wanting to do but never had the time...because you were working!

For me, it was a home improvement project. I gave my bathroom a face lift. I would spend hours on the computer searching for jobs, drafting cover letters, submitting resumes and online applications. It was mind numbing.

So then I'd get the paint and brushes and started painting my bathroom. Every day I took my break from job hunting, turn on the radio - I listen to 98.1 - and start working on something I enjoyed.

You need to do this because it won't help if you're stressed and miserable all the time. And I need to find another project...my bathroom is finished.


Got any other ideas on how to keep motivated during the job hunt, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment